A Journal By Kaitlyn Buttery

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

9/7/07

We spent the first half of the day on campus starting our projects and ours is off to a quick start. I really like Lee's photography and we chose to use one of his series that depicts blurry, noisy urban images. I plant to incorporate some digital illustrations on top of his photos that symbolize Chinese culture for me.

After leaving the campus we went to see a modern art exhibition that displayed different mediums, but mainly painting. There was one painting in particular that I enjoyed and it depicted a scene where a police man was writing tickets for a handful of girls. The girls in the painting were all sitting on a couch together and covering their faces in shame. The title of the piece was "Cracking Down on Prostitution," which slightly shocked me because I expected the piece to be making a deeper comment on the tradition of shame and losing face in Chinese culture.

No comments: