A Journal By Kaitlyn Buttery

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

9/10/07

Our exhibition opened today and it had a much bigger turn out than I, or anyone else, expected. It was great to be completely finished with our work for Jinan and be able to relax and enjoy our classmate's projects. The Chinese students that came to see the exhibition were so friendly and supportive. I felt so welcomed and honored, they really made our show feel like a big event. Even the president of the University came and met us, showing his support and modesty.

When we said goodbye to the students they were all so sweet, I've never had people stand at the curb and wave us all goodbye like that. The farewell dinner that evening was also a really nice gesture from the faculty, with plenty of food and entertainment as well. The president of the university, and even Ying, sang traditional Shandong songs on a karaoke machine at dinner. I've never had such a musical dinner, and when we were told we should dance around the table in thanks, I have to say I didn't see that one coming.

The part of the trip in Jinan was really great, I feel that getting to know the other Chinese students and faculty of the school helped me to understand China. Without these personal interactions, I don't think that the trip would have been as strong and meaningful as it is.

No comments: