A Journal By Kaitlyn Buttery

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

9/12/07



Hiking the Great Wall was so extremely tiring and rewarding, I loved every minute of it. It was so crazy to be climbing that many stairs dating back so far, and the fact that they were all manmade is unimaginable. There were times when I would descend from a watchtower so tired only to see the many stairs I would have to climb and I think it might be impossible. But we all completed the hike like champs. My legs were sore for a week, but now I can say I've climbed the great wall!

On the way back to Beijing we stopped off at the 798 Art Factory district. These contemporary art galleries were my favorite art spaces and works I've seen in China. My favorite gallery was Zhou where the pieces mainly depicted Asian women in vibrant, graphic brush strokes. I found the artist to be a clever, crafty designer because almost all of her pieces were also printed onto items that could purchased, like notebooks, wallets and magnents.

No comments: